ZARGES offers a variety of aluminum cases appropriate for the shipping and storage of Lithium and Lithium Ion batteries (Li-Ion). ZARGES is a global supplier of storage and transport equipment, used in a multitude of industries and companies worldwide. Our lightweight aluminum cases are appropriate for safe and secure storage and transport of sensitive items and hazardous materials.
Lithium and Lithium Ion Batteries
Lithium batteries are usually not rechargeable, and use lithium metal as an anode. These batteries are typically found in cameras and other small electronics, and are primarily available in commercially in pre-set forms. Lithium Ion batteries do not contain metal (the lithium is present in an ionic form) and they are rechargeable. They are generally used for higher-capacity needs, like e-bikes, mobile devices and power tools, and are usually in custom packaging for the specific application.
Current Customer Use Cases
- Drone and UAV storage and transport
- Electric bike shipping and testing
- Transporting medical testing equipment
- Storing and transporting dive gear and underwater craft
- Long-term battery storage
- Domestic and international shipping
Lithium Battery Transport
Since 2016, IATA regulations dictate that both Li-Ion and Lithium batteries are prohibited on cargo aircraft without proper packaging and equipment, and forbidden from transport as cargo on passenger aircraft. They may be carried in the cabin in approved containers.
For secure transport, batteries must be shipped at a state of charge of 30% or less of total capacity, securely individually packaged to prevent accidental discharge or short circuits from terminals touching, and contained within strong, rigid outer packaging. The contents must be clearly labeled on the outer packaging.
Lithium Ion Battery Storage
Lithium Ion batteries should be stored with a partial charge of 40%, which keeps the cells inside from going into sleep mode. They should be recharged periodically to prevent damage. Batteries should be protected from extreme temperatures; ideal storage temperature is about 60°F (15°C). Individual batteries should be aligned in a way that prevents any contact between terminals or potential short-circuits. They should also be kept dry and secure from moisture or vapor that may generate condensation that could cause corrosion.
ZARGES Cases Key Features
- High-quality aluminum universal cases
- Rugged fully welded profile frame
- Lid latches can be secured with seals or a padlock (max. shackle thickness .25″)
- Ergonomic spring handles automatically stow for safe shipping
- Over 50 standard sizes to choose from, plus custom sizes
- Each case constructed of extra strong 5005 alloy aluminum sheeting
- Available as IP54, IP65 or IP67
- K475 provides EMI/RFI protection
- Optional UN Certification for Hazmat Transport
- Size: ZARGES is a market leader with more usable internal volume per cubic foot
- Weight: Aluminum delivers excellent durability and weight savings in a smaller footprint
- Impervious to elements: Case withstands temperature range of -238° to 302° F; UV, water, weather and corrosion resistance
- Will not warp or crack
ZARGES aluminum cases are engineered with high-strength impact-resistant aluminum alloy. The cases are available with custom foam liners, inserts and finishes. Additionally, we can test and certify our cases as UN certified for hazardous material (HAZMAT) transport, including classes:
- UN 3090
- UN 3091
- UN 3480
- UN 3481
We can also assist with the following:
- Information on regulations and laws.
- Advice on the classification of hazardous goods.
- Recommendations for suitable interior and exterior packaging (incl. padding/padding material).